I’ve been following the Dash Express — the “flocking” GPS device that tells other Dash devices in its vicinity about traffic problems and can connect to WiFi to look up addresses — for over a year now and every time I’ve met with them they’ve been pushing back the ship date. Well, now you can pre-order the Dash Express for $599 and will ship in February. The monthly pricing has been set at $9.99/mo with a 2-year plan and $10.99 with a 1-year plan. It is $12.99 for the a la carte plan.
I agree it’s a little bit on the high side, but the service is very compelling. It has lots of acutally useful points of interest and you can ask it for things like “thai food in atherton.” The flocking aspect is the most interesting as it creates a little network that takes readings of real-time traffic.
* While any GPS device can provide directions to get you from point A to B, the always-connected Dash Express gives you the information you need every day.
* Superior traffic with the Dash Driver Network™: Select your route based on up-to-the-minute traffic data that is automatically and anonymously tivexchanged via the most reliable source – other Dash devices.
o The Dash Express gathers traffic information from the Dash Driver Network and combines it with other sources of traffic data to provide you with the most accurate picture of what’s happening on the routes you’re traveling.
o Only Dash provides traffic information for both freeways and local roads and side streets.
o The Dash Express provides up to three routing options to your destination that are based on flow rather than incident data, and it has the ability to automatically alert you when traffic conditions change and route you around traffic problems on your route.
* Find virtually anything with Yahoo! Local search: Connect to Yahoo! Local search to find unlimited points of interest—people, places, products and services.
o Two-way connectivity gives Dash Express the ability to use Yahoo! Local search and other Internet search sources.
o Unlike other GPS devices that come loaded with a static database of points of interest, Dash gives you access to unlimited points of interest based on your specific needs, and delivers key detailed information (i.e. gas prices, movie times) to help you chose the right destination.
* Send2Car™ means no typing required: Simply highlight an address from any Internet browser or Microsoft Outlook and send it directly to your car.
o You can use Send2Car yourself, or have someone else send it to your Dash device when you’re already on the road.
* MyDash makes it even easier to personalize your Dash Express: The MyDash portal (http://my.dash.net) enables you to customize your Dash Express.
o Create your own lists and feeds or, if you prefer, import the great content created by other members of the Dash Community.
o Easily send customized search buttons (i.e. LA Yoga Studios, Best Red Sox Bars in Boston, Toddler Playgrounds in New York City) straight to your device so you always have access to the places you want to go.
* AutoUpdate™ means your GPS is always up to date: Dash Express is the only GPS that automatically and wirelessly updates software and traffic using two-way connectivity. You’ll always have the latest features as soon as Dash releases them.